Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Affective Relationship with Useless Junk

Working on my Research Proposal for my MA thesis, I have read a few theories, articles, mongraphs and volumes that talk about photographs as objects, and specifically how objects become smeanignful through the relationship people form with them. In light of the upcoming week, which may just be the most exciting week of the entire year, if not of the last 5 years, I have collected a few objects that I have kept for almost a decade (well, 6 years so far, but I'm not going to throw them out anytime soon). 


To others, it's just a bunch of junk. I have a plastic toy katana that's only about 80cm long and houses batteries and lights up. It's the best katana I could ever own. I have some tiny, and very cheap, glass vases that I once bought for Rp.1000 (about 8 cents) to use as shotglasses for vodka. Worst way to get drunk, ever. Best memory of vodka, ever. Here's a few more objects that are extra special to me as I count down to next week. 


Varsity Letter from IASAS Art. 

This is special because it reminds me more of Eline than of IASAS. Eline and I would always get mixed up by people, and on the IASAS Art page, our senior yearbook says that my painting is hers, but I love her anyway. I don't really mind that soemtimes people thought we were one and the same person, because without her, I wouldn't be complete anyhow. 


 Empty jar of moisturising cream...

This is a weird one, maybe. Merribel brought me back this face-cream from Australia once (7 years ago...) to use on my butt. Yes, really. It's really concentrated and works really good on stretch-marks and other skin imperfections. Merribel saved my ass many times. Really. This cream doesn't only remind me of our perfect asses though, it reminds me of sharing clothes for clubbing, and sneaking out at night. Actually... I just remembered something else I have kept over all these years.... 

brb.

...


 Yes. Really. My original Harry Potter Hogwarts polo! It doens't even come close to fitting anymore. It's a boys size 10 (which I think goes by age). That makes me a bit sad actually, because it means that when I was 17, I fit a childrens T-shirt. Now, It just manages to cover up my boobies. Merribel and I really wanted diner-shirts. With our names on them and everything. I think James Graciano used to have one, and I still look out for them all the time. If I ever do find a good American diner work-shirt, I'll get two and send one down under. 


This hat is awesome. Merribel knows it. She has one too. We took pictures of eachother with them once. 

*digs through the internet* 

...

 Awesome. I also have a plushy Marvin the Martian looking hat. We took pictures with those too, in the middle of the mall. People must have thought we were crazy. Good times. There's a pillow covered in photos on my bed too. I'm a sucker for memories.


Lastly, our prom pictures. I love seeig everyone together, that Saran and Merribel went to prom together, and that now he's with Eline. It's a shame he's not going to be here.


I still have my dress too, and the left over pieces of lace from the dress-making. If we substitute Lary for Merribel, we can reproduce the top photo next week. That, to me, is amazing. The odds of us all coming together int he same place like this were always tiny. We've done it though, and now I am determined to make it happen more often in the future. When we all have our Dr. titles and jobs, I'm sure it'll get easier. (Eline already has hers! GO Dr. Appelmans, I'm so proud of you!) Besides, Canada and Australia aren't that far apart anyways. 


Things and stuff are important, and not usually because of their function or intention, but because of the meanings and functions they are attributed by the people that keep them, and by the reasons they are kept in the first place. I don't need an ampty jar af Australian moisturizing cream, but I wouldn't trade this one for a million full jars.

Anthropology is everywhere. Embrace it, it feels good. 
(And no making fun of what I look like when I write blogs at night, and how mushy I get about my girls.)

No comments:

Post a Comment